Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Mama, Get (ce)real!


Here I am after Day 3 of my Hunger Strike. What was I protesting? Having to drink everything from a bottle ... it was time for something new and different in my belly. What a welcome relief!

Though, I must admit, I gave Mama a bit of a panic. She noticed that I was drinking less and started to worry that I might be sick. But after a phone call to Dr. Irena at the NICU to get her opinion, she decided to try giving me some cereal.

The first time that she put the spoon with food on it in my mouth, I wasn't sure what to do. What strange textures! You mean, I'm supposed to somehow get that mushy stuff from the spoon into my mouth? But how? After all, those mouth muscles are not used to that motion of closing around a spoon and slurping food in. So Mama had to make the cereal more runny and kind of pour it in.

By the next day, when she tried the second time, I was already getting the hang of things, and liking this new adventure very much!

Even my pediatrician was surprised. She had said, "But she's only 4 kg, I wouldn't start her on solid foods now ..." But Dr. Irena advised Mama that from her experience with NICU babies, we seem to like a change in our diet when we are 6 months corrected age, no matter how much we weigh.

No comments: