Friday, September 5, 2008

Just like the Olympic Athletes

My physical therapist has been K-Taping me these past two weeks, or rather, using Kinesiology Tape on my muscles to help encourage a greater range of movement and to provide stability while massaging my muscles at the same time. We leave it on for a few days and change it at my following p.t. session. Sometimes it takes a bit of getting used to, but it has really been effective in helping me to increase my mobility.

Right after I got taped for the first time, MamaJ noticed that the Olympic divers were using the tape. And then she noticed that athletes in nearly all the sports were using it. Although their tape was usually blue, black or pink.

K-taping has all sorts of great uses which you can read about here as well.


The first time I was taped, I had it on my back, to encourage my ribs to expand. It felt like someone was holding their hands on my ribcage and spreading their fingers ever so slightly towards the front.


The second application of k-tape was to help my shoulders come forward more. Don't I look like Zena the Warrior Princess?


This most recent taping helped me to use my pelvic, hip, buttock and back muscles differently as well as to feel the kinesthetic connectivity in my spine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl...whatever it takes to get those muscles doing what you need them to do. They say that Olympic athletes are starting their training earlier and earlier.
I was enrolling a new student at school with my computer and the pictures of you and your momma came on the screensaver. The parents of the student asked about you, so I just pulled up your blog. They were quite interested in seeing your pictures, but I was surprised to see all the pictures with tape. I took time today to check out your posting. Very interesting, Uma. You are teaching Grandma so many things... just like your MommaJ does. I luv it!!! Keep working on those muscles and your movement. I bet you'll be dancing in December.

See you soon, my LUV,
Grandma Dee