

The downside to CPAP is that it blows air not just into my lungs, but into my tummy as well. So for 2 days I've been a bit constipated and my tummy got all puffed up as hard as a rock! In addition, the doctors got back a routine test result that showed I have another infection. (Not again!) This time it's the Enterobacter cloacae bacteria. So it's back to the antibiotics and a dose of plasma (fresh frozen plasma, to be exact).
All of these infections are pretty normal occurrences for us preemies who didn't get these antigens from our mommies before we were born to help us fight off these little buggers on our own. That fact and just being in an environment where we have a relatively high exposure to external pathogens through catheters, blood pricks, hoses, etc., makes us pretty susceptible.
To help me rest a bit, the doctors put me back on the ventilator. The good news is that the settings for the ventilator are now lower than they were before I was extubated, so it isn't breathing for me as much as it is helping me to breathe.
I also got a temporary catheter in my hand. The nurses wrapped up my hand and pinned it to my diaper so that I wouldn't move the catheter around too much.
So -- one step forward, two steps back ...
4 comments:
it is actually TWO steps forward, one step sideways :-)
aunt b.
do you really think that i'm ready for tango lessons, auntie b?
I should imagine so. at least you need to practice humming along "Adios muchachos" for when you leave the incubator.
btw, i have something for your two-month anniversary - i'll give it to your mama, but if i forget, please remind her.
lepo jej in dihaj.
aunt b.
Dear Uma,
I am a friend of your Grandma Dee. I have heard about your incredible entrance into this world. I just want to let you know that I think you and your Mother are incredibly strong people. Thank you for sharing your blog will all of us. I will continue to think about you and wish your entire family.
Wishing you all the best,
Gerda
Post a Comment