Monday, March 3, 2008

Ekstubacija

Today the doctors finally did what they'd been talking about for the last few days. They took me off the ventilator. That is, they extubated me.
I know it's time to breathe on my own, but after a month of this ventilator, having to really manage ALL this breathing on my own was a real shock.

First, I'll show you the BEFORE picture. You'll see me sleeping, well, like a baby. Then, I'll show you the AFTER picture. I have the same hoses, but the tube that went directly into my lungs has now been replaced with two tubes just going to my nose. Didn't really like that, and spent the first hour or so trying to get it off somehow. No success.

I wasn't your happiest baby in the world today. Mama sat next to me calling me the "Breathing Champion" and cheering me on. And the nurses were really great about looking after me, but I just cried and cried.

The doctor said that it will take me a few days to get used to this and "pridem k sebi".

When Mama and daddyG came back for a visit in the afternoon, I was sleeping soundly. After watching me for a short while they decided to go home and let me rest.

Lahko noč (Goodnight).



BEFORE




AFTER

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo Uma!

Vau, je bil en velik korak za malo Umo! Ampak zdaj se bo še lažje kengurujčkat! To vam bo lepo!
Le tako naprej, naša ljuba frajerka! Mi držimo pesti!

Nataša; Peter, Katja, Nace, Rudi

Anonymous said...

hura, bravo UV, M & dG, odlično, lepa in dobra novica!

in kakšno lepo belo kapico imaš, draga UV! me spominja na Ivy, mojo najljubšo iz "You Rang, M'Lord?" :)

poljub in srečno, vas beremo in gledamo,
!, B, IL

Petra said...

Juhu Uma !

Oooo, to pa je napredek, Cestitam!!Super, da bos sedaj lazje dihala. To bo pa nekaj cisto drugega, bos videla.

Drzi se mala princeska, mi mislimo nate.

Kisses neca, petra, matjaz

Julia said...

Yippeeee Uma!!! Go Baby Go!! I am so proud of you! Good work sweet girl.

I love you!

Auntie Julia

Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations little one! Dihaj, dihaj mala Uma. In veliko objemckov od mamice in daddyja.

Pogumni ste, vsi trije!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, my Sweet Baby Girl! It's hard for Grandma Dee to see you so sad. All I can say is you sure are a powerfully strong little one. You have to put up with a lot of stuff. Grandma doesn't think she would have a very pleasant attitude if someone was putting tubes everywhere in her. I love you my Sweet Little Umita. Sleep tight...Dream sweet dreams of times to come ... sleeping in Momma's arms or on DaddyG's hairy chest... It won't be long until all these things will be a vague memory as you and Momma and DaddyG are able to be together all the time. Love and kisses,
Grandma Dee

Anonymous said...

Dear Uma, your blog is the most powerfull blog ever, full of life, as much as you are. I believe in you, you had already shown so much strength, keep on going that way.

I hope to give you a big hug one day, beautiful girl!

A.